The word “porcelain” may leave an impression of fragility – for instance when used with tea cups or dolls – however porcelain tile just might be your best bet yet for a long-lasting, stain and scratch resistant surface. Baked at much higher temperatures than its cousin tile, ceramic, porcelain tiles are made of denser clay and offer a water absorption rate of less than 0.5 percent.
Although porcelain is considered a tougher tile compared to other varieties, it brings an attractive enhancement for both outdoor and indoor settings. Sold in a series of colors, textures and sizes, porcelain tile can mimic the appearance of natural stone, marble, wood and granite.
AquaBlu Mosaics stocks a diverse premium collection of porcelain tiles which all carry their own distinct features.
- Size – Sold by the sheet or square foot, options include 1”x1”, 1”x2”, 2”x2”, 3”x3” , 6”x6”, and more.
- Textures – Ranges from smooth to slightly textured.
- Finishes – Available in several finishes such as glazed, non-glazed, glossy or matte.
Porcelain Tile Highlights
Like the saying, “set in stone”, so too you want your porcelain finish to be. Well, a proper porcelain tile installation stipulates a lifelong surface that maintains its glamour through inevitable wear and tear. Here are some additional features to consider about this durable premium tile when planning a tile project.
- Natural stone varieties deliver a deep and calming atmosphere.
- Great for larger scale projects such as swimming pools and spas.
- Offers a trendy alternative to ceramic and glass tile.
- Can withstand harsh conditions when installed outdoors.
- Great for high traffic areas.
- Exceeds other varieties of tiles in appearance and toughness.
- Cost less than other tiles.
- The color of the tile stays the same in the event of chipping/aging due to the colors running through the tile and not just on its surface.
- Property value increases.
- Less porous than other tiles due to its air pocket removal during the manufacturing process.
- Resistant to fading, discoloration and staining.
- Frost proof.
- Environment friendly.
Porcelain tiles are suitable for indoor application as well as outdoor application. Both settings are guaranteed a lovely outcome with a long-lasting surface. Porcelain can be applied to showers, bathroom walls, countertops, kitchens and flooring. Due to its ability to withstand harsh climates, it’s perfect for entryways, driveways, patios. It’s also a great option for adorning swimming pools with an accomplished balance of style and quality.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Glazed/Glossy porcelain finishes are almost insusceptible to staining which makes the cleaning process a relatively quick and effortless process. For dirt removal, a soft bristled broom or a vacuum is fine to use. For further cleaning and polishing of the floor, dilute a mild detergent in warm water. Refrain from using oily products on porcelain floors.
Porcelain tile is installed in a similar fashion to its cousin tiles, however there are a few things to be mindful of to reassure yourself that a professional installation team is fully capable of handling the job.
- The countless varieties of porcelain tiles do not share the same absorption and density rating, hence to ensure long lasting outdoor applications, you will need to select the best suited tile for outdoor tile work. The hardness level may not match its intended function.
- Laying porcelain tile over uneven cemented floors may require additional time and cost.
- Using spacers is a step that cannot be skipped with porcelain tiles. Due to its weight and sizes, to get the most precise installation and prevent movement during installation, spacers need to be used to properly align the tiles.
- To avoid a tedious process self-leveling compound is recommended.
- In some cases, backerboard is used before laying down porcelain tiles.
- No sealing is required.
Be sure to speak with your installation team, and have them assess your bare surface prior to laying down the tiles.
With the options of obtaining a wood or stone surface and many more looks using porcelain tiles, there’s a growing popularity and demand for it in tile projects. It’s considered the rugged tile among its counterparts and brings a hardwearing surface and charming appeal to any setting.